The Statue of the Saints Cyril and Methodius in front of the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul in Brno
The cathedral is located on the hill Petrov, on the probable site of the former Brno castle and Romanesque church. At the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries its foundations were built-over by the early Gothic church of St. Peter, expanded and rebuilt numerous times. Since 1777, after the Brno bishopric was established, it became a cathedral church. In the early 20th century the church was rebuilt in Neo-Gothic style; the 81m tall slim towers that are an integral part of the Brno panorama today have only been towering over the town for a little more than one hundred years. Aside from the Baroque adapted interiors you may also visit the Romanesque crypt, treasury, tower with lookout and nearby Diocese museum.
In 2013, to commemorate the 1150th anniversary of the arrival of the Slavic heralds of faith in Great Moravia, the statue of Saint Cyril and Methodius by Vladimír Matoušek and Radim Horák was ceremoniously unveiled next to the cathedral of St. Peter and Paul.